Wednesday, January 13, 2010

sNacKs

I start every day with fruit or on occasion a smoothie, and lots of liquids. That gives my body a nice start with some good nutrition sugars and carbs for a boost of energy without having to use a bunch of energy in digesting my food. There is so much variety here! You have your basic apples, oranges, and bananas. Your berries and citrus fruits, melons, mangoes, papaya, and my favorite when they are in season figs!


The rest of the day I usually snack on dried fruits like raisins, prunes, apricots, dried apples, and dried peaches. Careful of additives ,like sulphur, and sugars in dried fruits.
And Nuts and Seeds! Cashews, Pecans, Walnuts, Pistachios, Almonds, and on special occasions Pine Nuts! Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, and whatever else I find.
Lara bars are a great handy snack they are made of dried fruits and nuts and sweetened with dates. They are RAW! some are labeled 90% RAW, but that is still good in my book.


Another Favorite snack, pickles! Which should all be RAW in my opinion, but we pasteurize them too just in case of any harmful germs and so they can sit on the shelf for a thousand years!
Bubbies is a great company, they don't use harmful vinegars or any vinegar for that matter except what occurs naturally int he pickling process.
They also have a killer sauerkraut, which has been slightly heated. I emailed the company about it, they heat it slightly to slow down the fermentation process but not stop it (because they had a problem with bottles exploding on the shelf). So they are aware and cautious about the living quality of the kruat, and that seems good to me that they didn't kill the kraut!
Also for some reason their bread and butter chips are not raw just the kosher dill pickles.


Something I never thought i would be eating so much of, RAW cauliflower!!!
Sprinkled with some oil, garlic, sea salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and a pinch of agave nectar or honey. This is an awesome snack. it is crunchy and flavorful with a hint of sweetness. it is likened to popcorn. The other day I baked this same dish in the oven slightly because it was a cold night and I wanted something warm and comforting and it was.


Cauliflower is an excellent source of potassium and a very good source of phosphorous, magnesium , calcium and sodium . It also contains small amount of iron, zinc, manganese, selenium and fluoride.
Cauliflower is rich in Vitamin C and choline. It has good amount of Vitamin E, B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin and pantothenic acid. It also has small amount of Vitamin A, K, and folate.
Calorie Content of Cauliflower: 100g of Cauliflower has 25 calories. Calories from fat are 1.


Another yummy snack I didn't think I would be eating, and I never liked cooked, Bell Peppers!
They also have a nice sweet crunch and they travel well.
I eat carrots by the truckload, and so does my dog.
They are great with dips like guacamole and hummus , so are bell peppers.
and of course there is celery which as always pairs well with nut butters.
my favorites are cashew butter, almond butter and tahini (which isn't really a nut butter but who cares)
there are other nut butters like pecan butter, walnut butter, and pistachio butter. There is hemp butter, pine nut butter, and apricot kernel butter. These are usually harder to find and a bit pricey.
If you have a heavy duty blender you can make them yourself!
nut butters are also good with apples and bananas they digest well together cause they are starchier fruits.



No comments:

Post a Comment