Monday, January 11, 2010

StAPles

So I will start with the obvious, Salad!



Don't get me wrong I think there is wonderful variety that comes with Raw food. Tons of snacks and foods I love, which I will explore more thoroughly in the blog, but let's start with the basics.

I usually snack all day on fruit, nuts, and seeds. Dinner is my main meal and I mainly eat salad. My favorite meal is a Big pile of organic greens, avocado, purple onion, and my SASS sesame garlic dressing. I eat this cause i love it. If I go without a big green salad too long I notice a big difference and I start to crave it.

I have kept it interesting though I like to change it up with whatever veggies I can find to throw in the mix. Bell Peppers, okra, sprouts, beets, tomato, snap Peas, sauerkraut, dulse flakes(seaweed), broccoli, mushrooms, garlic, and whatever else I find at the grocery store or market that looks interesting.

Dressing is key. I like to buy the Local SASS for my staple, but I have also mixed dressings like:
Avocado, Chipotle, Olive Oil, and Apple Cider Vinegar
Tahini, Lemon, Nam Shoyu
Sun dried Tomato, Basil, Olive oil, and Apple Cider Vinegar
sometimes I throw in herbs or veggies i have like peppers and parsley.




Another favorite Tacos!
I start with Ezekiel Tortillas (Sprouted whole grain)
add Avocado, tomato, onion, some greens and a sauce! Maybe Salsa, I like to add some tahini to mine, yummy.


Maybe I should at this point say, for those of you who do not know Me well, I am not 100% RAW. It can be overwhelming to worry about everything like if all your spices are Raw and organic. Change, at least for me does not happen over night, plus you need to give your body time to adjust. My diet has changed dramatically over the last two years, and I am continually seeking change and improvement for better health. So for now when I eat Ezekiel Tortillas I do not feel bad in any way afterwards or the next day. This may not always be the case. The Diet you are choosing may be more lax or more strict than this, to each his own.



AnD wRApS!!
One Day I was craving avocado egg rolls. So I took some avocado wrapped it up with alfalfa sprouts and bean sprouts. Drizzled it with Nam Shoyu and Honey (or Agave Nectar) for kind of a tangy sweet Asian sauce. Later I learned that Collard Greens make for the best wraps. They are flat and round but sturdy and do not break as easily as some other lettuces.
They are pretty tasty
and you can vary on this too adding anything you like!
I think in this picture i have a cranberry salsa in there (cranberries, peppers, onions, cilantro)




Raw "BrEaD"
this is fabulous and way easier than baking, at least I think so.



Start with nuts and seeds. Here I have Chia Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Flax Seed, Buckwheat Groats (not actually a wheat), and I like to add some pine nuts too. I soak them in a jar overnight to break down enzyme inhibitors in the seeds and make them easier to digest. After the first batch, which uses less than one fourth the jar, I just leave the jars in the fridge and pull them out whenever I want to make another batch. So simple



Throw seed mixture into the food processor, add in Veggies and Spices!
Here I am making Zucchini Bread with Curry and Garam Masala, and of course a bit of pepper, sea salt, and garlic.
I also make a really good tomato bread in which I add Italian seasoning and garlic. It is super yummy.
Blend up your seeds and whatever veggie/spice recipe you like maybe onion dill?
If you want a smoother bread throw it in the blender. Chunkier, just don't leave it in the processor long or after you are done mixing add some more seeds in there.
I plop a little glop onto a dehydrator tray (which I got off craigslist for $30)
I kind of smooth it out and leave it in for eight to ten hours.
The beauty is the work only takes five minutes. You can leave the dehydrator running while you sleep, or while you are at work. You don't need to watch it if you leave it there for twelve hours it won't burn or be ruined. maybe you just like it more crispy.

Another favorite is big portabella mushrooms!
I like to marinade them in olive oil and Nam Shoyu and stick them in the dehydrator to make them a bit more chewy like steak.
or you can just marinade them overnight.
Then add some guacamole, tomato and greens or whatever you like.

So those are my favorite dinners, and a big enough post for now.

as a side note I would like to say that I think cold pressed oils and a good sea salt is key. Don't throw out your whole spice rack at first, but these two are good healthy changes to make that are not too expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment